Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Salerno

The end of the red sauce trail:

Salerno has the most "italian" vibe. It has to be the beginng of the red sauce trail, it just has to. My testament goes further; my landlord Luca informs me that I will be his long lost cousin from America, for tonight when we go out with this friends. He told me how his great-grandfather came to the states, around the same time mine did, except his returned to Italy a rich man... And then lost it all. With a gigantic port, yu can bet that this is where many Italian immigrants left their lives for the American dream, 85 years ago. Regardless of the size of the lemons, or the quality of the mozz, people needed food, and they needed to LIVE. In the words of biggie, niggas need food, niggas need bread... And so it began. I really don't like that word or anything racist really,  but it's necessary for my point.

So like I was saying, salerno seems to have the essence of what I was looking for on this trip. After going out with Luca, who told me he was kinda going through a break up, it seemed like tonight was going to be a wolf night.first we stopped at what looked like some old church for his friends girlfriend who was singing in some choir, they like that stuff here... And it was old, but I'm telling you, not one inch of space on that ceiling was left un-frescoed. Incredible, ornate as could be, like a Bensonhurst home in the 1970's.

After 7 minutes, we left for a tapas style spot, and the beers started. Some beer from Torino, a lager, pretty good... The city is cheap. Beers later, talking about Italian politics as usual... Nothing good. Ever. 

The next place... 1€ beers and sausage w fries sandwiches. So hungry that I literally choked on the sausage. Don't quote me on that.

More conversations about how I perceive salerno, and that everyone pretty much wants serie a in Italy to be Americanized. A Salernitana ultra concurs. I didn't realize they they had a fan base, a serious one, but it's one of the strongest in Italy. They'd be a great investment.

Salerno is a great place to see, the beginning and in this case,the end of the red sauce trail. If this was any given Sunday, yd definitely be hearing the sounds of ragu and pork boiling in the kitchens of the momma's and the nonna's.

No comments:

Post a Comment