Saturday, May 24, 2014

Atrani and Ciucci

24/7 bickering. I'm writing right me from a political "convention" in piazza umberto, which is the town square and the only square in town. Idk what they're arguing about, but I figure it's the usual Italian life problems like unemployment, taxes, etc.

Waking up here Is strange especially with the time change. What's even more strange, or rather familiar, is that kids are always getting yelled at, and people are constantly bickering and/or complaining.

At 10 I left to take the alleyways to amalfi, a route I read about in my little walk book. Of course there are signs too, but if you weren't looking for it, you'd never know. I'm still a little groggy when 3 working donkeys walk down the alleyway carrying loads of chopped up house foundation on both sides, all the way down the steps... They probably walked up and down, with the highest part being a couple hundred feet high, at least. Insane. I tried to act like this happened to me every day, and tucked in a corner that happened to be there and let them pass. They were the most jacked donkeys I've ever seen.

I was walking towards this hike I read about called Valle dei mullini (valley of the mills) that lead into Valle delle Ferriere ( I forget) and found out after walking pasts the duomo in amalfi and down the only road. I was already sweating and hadn't eaten. Usually that would mean I'm super pissed, but I knew this was going to be pretty at least.

Like a mile in up hill, and I'm sweating more. A snake hissed at me and I'm pretty sure I screamed or at least jumped.lizards everywhere. Looking to the left there's thousands of lemon trees, then the first abandoned building pops up- an old mill from I think 15/1600s used to build paper, that used the river running through as power.

Legs start to pull and I finally get down by the river and more mills. It didn't taste weird or anything, by this time I just finished my power bar and still hadn't drank all day, so it was necessary.

The end was good, probably took only 35/40 minutes where the rest about 3 hours.

Back to the beach, pass out. Shower. Back to beach. Eat.

To take everything full circle, I'm going to complain because half the men seem to be wearing those awful Napoli camouflage jerseys from this year... And the politician in the square is the loudest voice to complain right now. At least the lemons are fresh

No comments:

Post a Comment